Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My First Weeks Abroad

Well I've been gone for about 3 weeks and everything has been fantastic. I went to Sweden to visit some friends and I had so much fun. I had a blast with my friends and met some others that I plan to stay in contact with. People were very friendly there and almost everyone spoke English. I got to tour downtown Stockholm. Old Town is beautiful. It's home to all of the old buildings including the Castle, which I toured part of. After 11 days I came to Greece. The first couple of days were great. We had orientation for school Wednesday through Friday. Wednesday was a relaxing day listening to people talk. Thursday we had an acculturation workshop and learned to speak some small phrases of Greek to help those of us get by who weren't taking a Greek language course. We had a scavenger hunt throughout downtown Thessaloniki. We had a fun time taking pictures and getting used to the area. Friday we went to Vergina (pronounced Ver-hina). It's home to 4 tombs and one heron which is like a shrine to a hero. Two of the tombs were almost completely destroyed, however, two were also entirely in tact. One of them was the tomb of Alexander the Great's father and the other was Alexander's son, who died at about the age of 14. It's a beautiful little town in the foothills of the mountains. Thanks for reading. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment