Monday, March 23, 2009

Museums and Stuff

So I went to a museum this weekend and an old Pagan Temple that was converted first into a Christian Church and then an Islamic Mosque. This building is known as the Rotunda for its' shape... round. The Rotunda is currently under construction and has been since 1978 when an earthquake shook the foundation. Since then they have been reconstructing the mosaics and securing the foundation. It doesn't appear as though too much progress has been made. Clearly things get done really fast here... The museum we toured was the Byzantine Museum. There was a lot of beautiful pottery and jewelry and some very intricate relief prints of various things. There were also some remnants of tombs and a lot of Corinthian style capitals from pillars. I would say it was a relatively educational day. However, the weather sucked :( It was cold and rainy. So I got coffee with Sarah and Britney after our educational excursion and we sipped on that for about 2 hours. Then we hightailed it home to warm up and take a nap. Sunday was also a dreary day so I did absolutely nothing... I caught up on my sleep before my crazy travel schedule starts. I will be preoccupied with traveling on the weekends for, oh about.... the rest of the semester. Thanks for reading :D
P.S. - Scroll down to the bottom of the page, I have larger pictures of different things.

No comments:

Post a Comment